Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Small Farm Diversification


Last week at the market we tried selling some of the gladiolas from my front herb garden and were very successful. We sold out! I only wish I had planted more. Our aunt in Bigelow has a very profitable cut flower business, which we will definitely be exploring as an option for next season. This week we are going to be offering our fresh-milled organic wheat, spelt, and oat flours at the market. We have long been enjoying the health benefits of milling our own grains and are excited to share this knowledge with our customers through Conway Locally Grown. We should begin harvesting our tomatoes later this week and hope to expand our offerings to the Little Rock area via the ASN Food Club. Turtle Rock Farms is ripe with potential!

2 comments:

  1. hi there we see what you are doing all the way from south east australia, also in the country, trying to live independent of the big cities. we have had successful plantings for 2 years of garlic and just started on asparagus. we have a new orchard of 40 trees assorted fruits. we applaud your aims and wish you well. how wonderful for your children! your place looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Matt. The children are very wowed to know someone from "Down Under" knows about us! Do you have a blog? I would love to hear more about your garlic. I use so much of it and appreciate all the different varieties, so I thought I'd give it a go. I have several organic garlic books and even tried growing some last year, but we had a very wet season and it did not do well. If I can figure out where I went wrong, I might be willing to give it another try this fall.

    ReplyDelete